55 min | 15 min prep
YIELD: 1 coffee cake
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 tablespoons fresh Thyme, finely chopped (choose from the Thyme list below)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- brown sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9" x 13" pan, with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mix whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt together.
- Mix in Sugar.
- In another bowl, mix together the butter, 3 eggs and sour cream.
- Mix in the blueberries and thyme, to the egg mixture.
- Gently fold the two mixture together.
- Spread coffee cake batter into pan.
- Top with chopped walnuts and sprinkle with a little brown sugar.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes.
- Turn out cake and cool on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.
- Serve at room temperature and enjoy!
This Blueberry Cake is just a little extra special, because of the addition of the Thyme! Any of the Citrus Thymes can be used. If you want to try something different again, try one of the savory tasting thymes, for example, Thyme - English.
Thyme citrus flavor:- Thyme - Fragrant Orange, Thyme - Creeping Lemon, Thyme - Golden Lemon Variegated, Thyme - Lemon, Thyme - Siver Lemon Variegated.
A coffee grinder is great for finely chopping dried or fresh thyme leaves, but keep 'herb-coffee grinder' only for herbs. (Buy a separate coffee grinder just for coffee.)