45 min | 10 min prep
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar or ½ cup Splenda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 apples, chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried Thyme, or 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped (choose from Thyme list below)
- Whipping cream (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C or 350°F.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time; beat well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baing soda and salt; set aside.
- Beat buttermilk into the egg mixture.
- Fold the dry mixture, into the egg mixture.
- Lastly, add the apple and thyme, stir until combined.
- Spray 9" x 9" square cake tin with non-stick spray or Pam.
- Pour cake batter into cake tin.
- Bake at 180°C or 350°F for 35 mins or until cooked.
- Cool slightly, before placing cake on wire rack to cool thoroughly.
- Cut cake, so you end up with 12 small square pieces.
- Serve with whipped whipping cream, as a dessert.
- Or enjoy cake at any time of day, with your favorite cup or tea, or coffee.
This wonderful combination really 'tickles the taste buds'!
Thyme savory flavor:- Thyme - Compact English, Thyme - English, Thyme - Provence, Thyme - Tabor. (These Thymes go really well with apple.)
Thyme lemon flavor:- Thyme - Creeping Lemon, Thyme - Golden Lemon Variegated, Thyme - Lemon, Thyme - Siver Lemon Variegated. (These add a lovely 'lemony' flavor)