50 min | 30 min prep
SERVES 4 -6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 cups coarsely chopped leaves, Chard - Swiss 'Bright Lights'
- 6 tablespoons, Cilantro, or Cilantro - Delfino, chopped for garnish
- 6 tablespoons, red onoin, chopped for garnish
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic; saute until tender and golden, about 9 minutes.
- Add squash; stir 2 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder, cinnamon, and cumin.
- Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in chard; simmer until chard is tender but still bright colors, about 4 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon chili into bowls and serve.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or red onion if desired.
A healthy and flavorful dish. More Swiss Chard can be added if desired. This recipe is very versatile, it can be eaten for lunch or supper, it is nutrient rich and high in fiber, and it can be eaten on its own, or bread and rice and salad can be added.