2 Hours | 20 min prep
- 2 cups of dried beans of your choice - navy, pinto, etc.
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (of choice)
- 6 rashers bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Savory, or 1 tablespoon Savory leaves, chopped fresh (choose from the Savory list below)
- 1 can of chicken stock
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place vegetable oil in a pot big enough to cook the beans.
- Add onion and bacon pieces.
- Gently cook while stirring until the onions are translucent and bacon cooked.
- Add the chicken stock, beans and Savory to the pot.
- Also add enough water to completely cover the beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 2 hours or until the beans are done.
- Drain and place in a serving bowl.
- Add salt and pepper as needed.
Savory Varieties:- Savory - Summer, Savory - Winter, Savory - Winter Creeping.
A favorite recipe of ours! High in fiber. Can be eaten hot or cold.