15 min | 5 min prep
8 -10 slices
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded & diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian oregano or 1 tsp dried, (alternatively choose an Oregano from the Oregano list below)
- 1 clove garlic, minced8-10 slices Italian bread, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or mozzarella cheese (or a combination)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix chopped tomatoes, oregano & garlic.
- Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Brush bread slices with oil.
- Place approximately 4 tsp tomato mixture on top of each bread slice & sprinkle with cheese.
- Place on baking sheet & bake at 350F for 5 minutes.
- Broil for a couple of minutes or until cheese melts and golden brown.
This is a fast and tasty appetizer, with an Italian twist! A chopped, sweet onion can be added to the recipe, if desired, and added to the tomato mixture.
Spicy Oregano:- Oregano - Cuban, Oregano - Greek, Oregano - Hot & Spicy, Oregano - Italian.
Mild Oregano:- Oregano - Compact, Oregano - Golden, Oregano - Thumbles Gold, Oregano - Variegated.