27 min | 15 min prep
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Basil, crumbled
- 2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon milk 1% low fat
- Preheat oven to 450º
- In a large bowl, stir together the all purpose flour and whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and 2 tbsp of the cheese.
- In small skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over moderate heat. Add the Basil and cook for 1 minute; transfer to a small bowl and cool slightly.
- Stir in the yogurt, milk, and remaining 1 tbsp of oil.
- Add the Basil mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out the dough until 1/2" thick.
- Using a 2 1/4" biscuit cutter or glass, cut out rounds, gently rerolling the scraps, to form 12 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet, spacing them 1" apart. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tsp of cheese and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm.
Perfect with Pasta or other Italian dishes! These biscuits also go very well with home-made soup!
Basil varieties that work best with this recipe:-
Basil - Genovese, Basil - Large leaf Italian, Basil - Lettuce Leaf, Basil - Red Rubin.