15 min | 5 min prep
SERVES 2 -4
- 2 medium potatoes peeled, cooked and mashed well
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup diced prosciutto or cooked ham
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Basil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet and cook the onions until they are golden and soft.
- Add this mixture to the potatoes; add in the ham and mix well.
- Beat the eggs together and then pour this mixture into the bowl with the potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add in the cheese and Basil and mix well.
- Heat the remaining butter in a nonstick skillet on medium; once it is foaming, add the potato egg mixture into the pan.
- Turn the heat to low and once the eggs have set, and the only remaining moistness is in the center, place the skillet under the broiler until the top is set and golden.
- Serve with crisp fresh salad and warm crusty bread.
Basil varieties that work best with this recipe:-
Basil - Genovese, Basil - Large leaf Italian, Basil - Lettuce Leaf, Basil - Red Rubin.