10 min | 10 min prep
- 1/2 cup rinsed lightly packed fresh Basil leaf
- 3 tablespoons sugar or sweetener
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 sprig fresh Basil
- In a 1 1/2 to 2 quart glass bowl, combine Basil leaves and sugar
- With a wooden spoon, crush leaves with sugar until thoroughly bruised
- Add water and lemon juice
- Stir until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes
- Taste and add more sugar if desired.
- Pour through a strainer into ice-filled glasses
- Garnish with sprigs of fresh Basil
This is very refreshing! The type of basil you use will contribute to the 'personality' of this drink.
Basil - Red Rubin tints the lemonade pink and has a milder flavor than green varieties.
Basil - Lemon, Basil - Lime, add a lemon-drop essence.
Basil - Thai, gives a spicy flavour.
Basil - Genovese, Basil - Large Leaf Italian and Basil - Lettuce, add the flavour of summer!