4 hours | 1 hour prep
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 1/2 cups Basil fresh
- 1/2 cup Parsley - Flat Leaf Italian
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lb ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 2 lbs cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 lb parmesan cheese grated
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Butter bottom and sides of 10" spring form pan.
- Mix bread crumbs and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle mixture into pan, turning to coat completely.
- Mix Basil leaves, Parsley, oil, salt and garlic in food processor until smooth paste forms, about 2 minutes, scraping sides occasionally.
- Put ricotta cheese, cream cheese and Parmesan in a mixer bowl and mix until smooth about 2 minutes. Mix in the eggs.
- Remove about 1/3 of this mixture to a small bowl.
- Into the original 2/3 cheese mixture, fold in the basil mixture until well blended.
- Pour the basil mixture into the prepared pan and carefully spread an even layer of the cheese mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- Set pan on a baking sheet. Bake 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn oven off and cool cheesecake about 1 hour with the oven door slightly ajar.
- Transfer to a rack and cool completely. Serve at room temperature, or slightly warmed.
Basil varieties that work best with this recipe:-
Basil - Genovese, Basil - Large leaf Italian, Basil - Lettuce Leaf, Basil - Red Rubin. Or try Basil - Lemon, or Basil - Lime, for a citrus twist!